The media is always seeking interesting stories and if you give them what they are looking for, you will be rewarded greatly.
There are numerous ways to promote yourself and your business using publicity. Here are just a few tips you can apply starting today.
- Be consistent in producing quality content. This includes your press releases. Your press releases should have a consistent look and feel to them.
- Don’t just send anything to get in front of the media. Be strategic in your approach. Reporters don’t want to waste their time reading content that does not pertain their area of focus.
Even if your first story is not accepted the first time, keep submitting new stories. Don’t submit them two or three times a year and expect the media pick up the phone and call you right away. The timing may not be right. This is why research is important. Consistency and perseverance is key to getting the attention you desire. If you stay in front of the media they’ll keep you in mind when they need a story like yours and it may happen sooner than you think.
- Always Be Networking (ABN) – Find events that are related to your niche and where the press might be in attendance such as fund raising events and conferences, and special galas. Introduce yourself to them but don’t be pushy, and definitely do not ask them for an interview on the spot.
- Become an authority on your subject. That means staying on top of what’s happening in your industry in your local area and around the world.
Stay abreast of the trends that are taking place in your industry. If you understand the latest changes and trends, you can speak intelligently and with ease about them when you are contacted for an interview.
- Send out press releases that connect your story to local, national and world news.
- Be by helpful by offering guest referrals and story ideas to the media. If you can offer a reporter or journalist referrals you’ll be seen as a great source of information.
- Never forget to follow up to say “Thank You” after doing an interview. This is a basic “must-do” after every interview. You can often turn a “thank you” into more coverage.
There are thousands of media outlets waiting to receive attention-getting stories from you. Don’t be afraid to get started. Be creative but truthful in how you tell your story.
Find the best media outlets for your business, start submitting your stories, apply a little perseverance and patience, and you will start to see amazing results from your efforts.
Give them what they want and you will be richly rewarded.
Monica Davis is a media coach and strategist with 20+ years of experience in the media industry to include television, magazine publishing, and radio. She is on a mission to help entrepreneurs use publicity to reach more of their market with an impactful message, and leverage their media coverage to quickly grow their business and influence without hiring a publicist.
“There’s a real advantage to working with Monica because she knows media from both sides; one side as a producer, host and publisher and the other side as a source and subject matter expert. Monica knows how to position your message in a way that it can be heard. And at the same time, she can show you how to monetize your message which is something that few to no publicists do. Monica’s media coaching program goes far beyond what you would get at a traditional publicist or PR firm. If you are serious about growing your business and income and you would like to use media to accelerate that process, I encourage you to use Monica’s Media Mastery course and Media Mogul coaching programs.”
William R. Patterson, CEO, The Baron Solution Group